Research Interests: * Nano/ Micro-scale Photonics and Plasmonics
- Push the extreme boundaries of light modulation, generation, and detection in the deep-sub-wavelength scales.
- Demonstrate useful applications and develop proper understanding of the underlying physics.
* Specific Applications:
Plasmonics, photonic/plasmonic crystals for deep-sub-wavelength light manipulations
- III-V/Si photonic integration for wavelength-scale optical communication devices
- Sub-wavelength-scale lasers, amplifiers, modulators, and detectors
- Metamaterials with gain materials for sub-wavelength-resolution imaging
* Fundamental-Physics-Oriented Studies:
- Single Photon Sources for quantum cryptography and computing
- Quantum Nonlinear Optics
- Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics (cQED)Job Interests: Acedemic, Industry R&D
III-V / Silicon Photonic Integration [BPN578]
Many semiconductor-based nanolaser cavities using metal have been remarkably reported in past few years. However, the efficient coupling of these small cavities to waveguides still remains a large challenge. Here, we show highly efficient coupling of a wavelength-scale III-V metal-clad high-quality nanolaser cavity operating the fundamental dielectric cavity-mode to a silicon-on-insulator waveguide. By engineering the effective refractive-index and the field distribution of the cavity mode, the quality factor is maximized as 1700 with a modal volume of 0.28 (lambda/n)^3. Furthermore, the coupling efficiency to the waveguide has the potential to be > 80 %.